At Voss Land & Tree, our mission is to provide our customers with a healthy and beautiful landscape. One of the most frustrating issues that surround lawn care in Columbia is the invasion of weeds and unwanted plant growth.
Flowerbeds overrun with weeds like dandelions and thistle can soak up valuable nutrients from local planted flowers, in addition to ruining the presentation of the landscape. Several measures can be put in place to significantly reduce the likelihood of weed invasion, such as mulching.
Through our mulching options and expert care, we can help provide your plants with a healthy and protected soil bed that retains moisture and reduces unwanted weed growth.
How Does Mulching Benefit My Yard?
Mulching the areas around your trees, flowers, and walkways yields several positive effects for the livelihood of your plants and soil. By adding mulch, four major components for the success of plant life are provided.
Smothering of weeds
- Mulch helps stop small weeds from taking food and water from nearby plants. Without the necessary nutrients, weeds cannot take hold.
- Mulch helps deaden the impact of rain, improving the distribution of water throughout the soil. Evaporation is also reduced due to the retention properties in the mulch.
Regulation of temperature
- Mulch has the ability to regulate the temperature in soil, helping limit freezing and overheating from the sun, mulch can provide a root friendly environment.
- As mulch breaks down, organic compounds break down in the soil, promoting a healthy system for plants, and help fight disease.
Your Mulching Choices
Mulch is categorized into two groups: organic and inorganic. Depending on what you are desiring, both options can help sustain a good looking landscape, as both forms limit weed growth. However, organic mulch provides nutrient supplements to the soil.
Voss Land & Tree can provide local Columbia residents with several organic and inorganic mulching options to fit their needs.
- Typically made up of shavings and chips of cedar wood and bark, this form of mulch is ideal for areas that don’t require regular digging and soil disruption.
- Providing a nutrient-rich mulch, surrounding plants with decomposing shredded leaves can create a healthy soil composition.
- A sharp looking mulch, pine needles help add multiple nutrients to the soil environment.
Straw or hay
- Vegetable garden straw and salt hay offer great nutrient properties to the soil as well as help keep soil in the ground.
- Dried-out grass clippings can often be beneficial for vegetable gardens.
- Infusing the soil with phosphorus, potassium, and nitrogen, compost can be one of the best mulching options for owners.
Pebbles and rock
- A great option for limiting weed growth and retaining soil moisture, rocks give a good inorganic option for mulching.
- Made from recycled rubber, this form of mulch lasts for a considerable amount of time and helps insulate soil temperature for growth and development of root systems.
Related Mulching Services and Estimate
In addition to all our mulching maintenance, work prior to laying down the material may be suggested for best results. As a full-service landscaping company in Columbia, Missouri, we also provide sod installation, grading, and dirt work.
Preventing erosion and improper water drainage is vital to a healthy and productive plant environment. Our talented team at Voss can create a successful landscape that is both enjoyable to owners and plant life.
With all our mulching services available to residential, HOA, commercial, and industrial properties, we can deliver you a sustainable and good-looking plant setting.
Contact Voss Land & Tree today to learn more about our mulching services!